HAPPY EARTH DAY!
Today marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, an event to celebrate and reflect on the status of our planet.
We can contribute to protect the Earth in different ways. Choosing a sustainable diet is one of these.
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations defines Sustainable Diets as “those diets with low environmental impacts that contribute to food and nutrition security and to healthy life for present and future generations.” A sustainable diet is basically a healthy diet that is good for your body and for our planet. To stay healthy and reduce the environmental impact of food production and distribution you can follow these easy steps:
- Prefer plant-based foods
- Eat five portions of fruit and vegetables every day
- Consume a variety of foods
- Reduce red and processed meat consumption
- Increase your intake of whole grains and pulses
- Prefer seasonal and local products
- Use fresh ingredients
- Reduce consumption of packaged foods
- Eat fish from sustainable sources
- Choose products that come from free-range farms and pastures
- Avoid food waste
We have one planet. Let’s work together to protect it!